Brian Robinson‘s road to recovery after a horrifying shooting incident is nearly complete — Commanders head coach Ron Rivera just announced the running back has been medically cleared … and could make his NFL debut this weekend.
Rivera said Robinson — who was shot twice in August during an attempted carjacking in D.C. — will officially jump into Washington practice on Wednesday … and if all goes well, there’s a “very good chance” he plays against the Tennessee Titans on Sunday.
Rivera said the team will be cautious with the 23-year-old rookie … but docs have told him there’s no need to place restrictions on the back’s workload — at least not initially.
“We’ll see how he handles it,” Rivera said. “We’ve got to see how he reacts to contact ’cause we will have a padded practice on Wednesday. He’ll get to bump around a little bit — and we’ll see how he handles that and then we’ll go from there.”
The Commanders picked Robinson in the third round of this year’s NFL draft. He had impressed in the preseason, appearing to earn the team’s starting tailback role coming out of training camp.
However, he was shot in the glute and the lower leg on Aug. 28 — and has been fighting to get healthy and back to the field since.
But, Rivera told media members Robinson has passed every test so far, and he’s “optimistic” Robinson will be available Sunday.
“It’s very promising,” the coach said. “But, again, as I said, the plan is to start his clock on Wednesday and see how he does. And if he continues to impress, there’s a very good chance he’ll be able to play on Sunday.”